I found this drawing on Pintrest and thought it would be an easy way to use up some more of the scraps. There were no measurements with the drawing so I could make up my own. I named the pattern “Simply Square Frolic” because it seemed to fit – at least in my mind.
I already had a box of 3″ squares cut out and so this is a way to use them. The 3″ scrap squares are sewn into rows of 6 squares (5 rows) with 1.25″ strips between the rows of squares would make a 16″ block. I decided to do mine in red, blue, and beige squares with solid white strips between the rows.
The blocks go together easily and it is really nice to find a use for more scraps. I have decided to make a total of 12 blocks (3 rows wide x 4 rows long) which will fit nicely on the wall in my dining room.
Here are two completed blocks sewn together. It’s always great when the math works and the blocks fit!
For now, this wall hanging top is set aside to complete another project. With all the seams, it will definitely be machine quilted.
I can see this pattern “Simply Square Frolic” working for other color combinations or even just total scrap.
Some other ideas for easy quilts that use squares:
CHRISTMAS ANGELS (or a cheater block quilt) is a super quick quilt of pre-printed angel blocks and a pretty poinsettia print. I cut the 8 pre-printed blocks apart and added the poinsettia print cut to the same size as the printed blocks (either 12″ or 14″ – at this point I forgot and my quilting scrapbook does not say either) so that the two prints alternated making a top 3 blocks by 5 blocks.
After sewing the blocks were together, I added a border of green print with metallic dots (I usually do either a 4″ or 6″) around the outside. I only spent an afternoon piecing this top together because the pieces were big.
Tip: Watch for cheater blocks or panels that can be utilized to make quick projects or quilts for people in your life.
The batting was polyester.
The backing was a flat sheet that I pre-washed before using. I also tend to cut off the hems (rather than take the hems out with a seam ripper).
Finished size was 57″ x 82″.
I pieced it in 1997 and it was machine quilted in January 2002 by RLM. The design was a continuous pine tree. I did the binding in solid green cotton.
CHRISTMAS ANGELS (or a cheater block quilt) was given to a family member for Christmas that year.
Some more ideas for pre-printed blocks or fabric panels:
Waste not, want not or so we are told. The Basketweave Nine Patch Quilt is a classic example of not wasting those pesky scraps that keep filling up a tub in my sewing room. This is a super easy pattern to do and can be adjusted for any size quilt. If you have not made a quilt from this pattern, let me encourage you to do so. It is easy to make and can be adjusted to any size strips you want to use.
Too many scraps….
I saw this pattern in some quilting magazine back in the mid to late 1980’s while living and working in West Germany. I thought yippee!! A great way to use up some of these scraps.
Obviously even then, I had a real problem with scraps!
I understand that rotary cutters were available by this time, but I had not seen one yet, so I actually cut all those pieces out by hand with scissors! It made for sore hands. Plus the issue of keeping those sharp scissors out of the little folks reach since I generally sat at on the floor to cut my fabric and they were playing around me.
So I eventually cut enough rectangles out for four queen size Basketweave Nine Patch Quilts that were completed over several years. It’s ok, you can say and think that this poor woman had a serious problem with fabric addiction. You would be sooooo correct.
Easily adjusted to the size you need
In the first photo, the quilt has blocks made of 9 “Roman Stripe” patches. I don’t remember the exact size but the three strips sewn together were the same length and width. Just alternate them as shown in the clip art below when sewing together.
The next step was simply adding solid black sashing between the Basketweave Nine Patch Quilt blocks. The post was a square the same size as the width of the sashing. I believe the sashing was 4″ wide, which would mean the posts were 4″ square – obviously this was a personal choice size wise and could easily be adjusted to fit any size quilt.
The top was finally put together in early 2007 and machine quilted by RLM the same year. It was given to our son M. for Christmas.
Scraps can be so much fun to use and the ideas are are numerous as the quilters who have those ideas. Go ahead, bring out all those scraps you have stashed in boxes and bags and give a scrap quilt a whirl. Quilts made with scraps can be addictive – who knows, you may never make a planned quilt again. Have fun.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL PHOTOS AND WRITTEN CONTENT ARE MY OWN UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.