Back in October, I posted about the overwhelming list of UFOs I needed to work on. One of those projects was some Christmas placemats. So…here is how to make easy placemats.
These directions could easily apply to any holiday or theme you would like to make for placemats. Have fun and enjoy the process.
2.5″ strips of fabric to make “patchwork” front of placemat (I pulled several out of my precut box of this size strips in “Christmasy” colors).
About a half yard of outer border fabric to frame the strips.
1 yard of backing fabric
Thread to match.
Assemble those placemats:
- Choose your theme and/or color choices.
- Cut 2.5″ strips – I worked with 15 strips.
- Sew together 8 strips side by side. Set aside each as completed. Do this for the number of placemats you want (see photo below).
- Iron. Trim each placemat to 15″ x 11.25″.
- Cut border strips 2.5″ wide.
- Add borders to two of the parallel sides of each one. I did the long sides first, but you do what you like. Iron. (See photo below).
- Add borders to the remaining two parallel sides. Iron. (See photo below).
- Put the pieced top right side together with the backing. I cut the back just a bit bigger than the front. Pin the two pieces together.
- Sew together leaving about 3/4 of one side unsewn.
- Trim up the extra backing and corners to they will come out square. If the corners are not trimmed, the extra bulk will make for messy and non-square corners.
- Turn inside out. Poke the corners out (a pencil can help with this). Iron. Put a few pins in to hold corners in place. Fold the fabric at the opening in evenly front and back and pin a lot to hold in place.
- Sew 1/4″ all the way around.
- For extra stability, I just straight sewed down every other strip.
- Enjoy your new placemats!!!
I spent an afternoon working on these and they really were super easy.
About two years ago, I picked the fabric strips and got half of them sewn together. Then I stopped and they have been quietly waiting for me to pay attention and complete them. Well – they are complete! A UFO done and off the list!
I think that I will make a couple more placemat sets just because they were so easy and fun.
And you too can learn how to make easy placemats
The best part about these fun placemats is that they really are easy and quick. An afternoon will get you a set for yourself. Or a gift for a friend or family member. Enjoy.
Here is another idea for placemats with matching cloth napkins.
ALL PHOTOS AND WRITTEN CONTENT ARE MY OWN UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.